Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
diltiazem difference

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

diltiazem difference

Cardiology/Cardiologist Question : If a prescription is written for oral diltiazem extended release 240 mg TWICE DAILY (BID) is verified as what the physician wants, what difference will there be CLINICALLY if it is filled as Cardizem LA or Cardizem CD ? (Brand or Generic or Price is NOT important here. Cardizem SR brand or generic not in market-place).  Monitoring of blood pressure is daily. Will there be a more concentrated blood level of drug using CD dosage form rather than LA df ?  Will there be higher peak blood levels some time after the (12 hour) time of dosing, when the overlapping dose is taken ? Is it common to use either LA or CD TWICE daily, and is one better or preferred, if so ? Is there a conversion of the 240 mg necessary to a different strength , depending on if LA or CD is chosen ? Is the end result in 24 hours actually 480 mg for the LA here or also 480 mg if for the CD here in this situation?  Looking for what the actual DIFFERENCES  here are between the two types, LA and CD dosage forms, when either of them is dosed TWO TIMES A DAY, and if you have seen clinical signifigance in any aspect for this approach .  Thank You.
Hello.  I am sorry but this is a heart failure forum.  I believe you should post your question in either a pharmacology forum or a general cardiology forum where you would hopefully receive an acceptable response.

Good luck.

Best,

Dr. Rich