diltiazem difference
Cardiology/Cardiologist Question : If a prescription is written for oral diltiazem extended release 240 mg TWICE DAILY (BID) is verified as what the physician wants, what difference will there be CLINICALLY if it is filled as Cardizem LA or Cardizem CD ? (Brand or Generic or Price is NOT important here. Cardizem SR brand or generic not in market-place).  Monitoring of blood pressure is daily. Will there be a more concentrated blood level of drug using CD dosage form rather than LA df ?  Will there be higher peak blood levels some time after the (12 hour) time of dosing, when the overlapping dose is taken ? Is it common to use either LA or CD TWICE daily, and is one better or preferred, if so ? Is there a conversion of the 240 mg necessary to a different strength , depending on if LA or CD is chosen ? Is the end result in 24 hours actually 480 mg for the LA here or also 480 mg if for the CD here in this situation?  Looking for what the actual DIFFERENCES  here are between the two types, LA and CD dosage forms, when either of them is dosed TWO TIMES A DAY, and if you have seen clinical signifigance in any aspect for this approach .  Thank You.
Hello.  I am sorry but this is a heart failure forum.  I believe you should post your question in either a pharmacology forum or a general cardiology forum where you would hopefully receive an acceptable response.

Good luck.

Best,

Dr. Rich