Congestive Heart Failure Community
ejection fraction and fractional shortening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

my father has low ejection fraction and fractional shortening i.e. fractional shortening of 17% and ejection fraction of 34% it decreases suddenly during 2month in month of june it was normal is that dangeroues and in this condition tell me is fasting (during ramazan) dangerous.
FS and EF are in the range that idicates a left ventricle functional disorder with the negative structual size of the left ventricle (FS) and EF is a blood volume measurement with each heartbeat.  The measurements' values aren't crtical at the current time, but the decreasing trend should be of concern and whether or not the diet is a problem would better be answered by your father's cardiologist.  Normal EF is 50 to 70% (percent pumped wtih each heartbeat) and FS above 30% is considered normal and 26 to 30% is mild decrease.

If you have any follow-up questions, you are welcome to respond.  Thanks for the question...take care.
my father age is 67 his ejection fraction is 34 and fractional shortening is 17 he has cough not severe and some time he has vomiting 4 to 5 ttimes he has breath shortening also kindly guide me what is dangerous level of ejection fraction and fractional shortening and what is survival rate of such patient
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition