fluid around heart?,Bronchitis
My husband has been diagnosed with bronchitis three weeks ago. He was given z-pack & a hycodyn cough syrup. This did not help, no x-ray. went back last week was given Avelox suppose to be stronger & asked for an x-ray, do not have results yet from that. He is not any better he has a terrible cough a congestive cough, I can hear the rattle in his chest at night when he is sleeping & I can hear the congestion in his chest when he is standing next to me. I am also upset that they gave him a flu shot the same day he went in & they told him he had Bronchitis. I thought if you had a cold you were not to get the flu shot. I am wondering if he should see a lung specialist or Cardioligist. Maybe he has fluid on his lungs & there is more to this than just bronchitis. Oh by the way this rattle in the chest has been going on for over a year. It just keeps coming back. I really would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank You Holli
Hi Holli,

How is your husband? Bronchitis is an inflammation or swelling of the air passages that extend from the windpipe to the lungs.  Viruses, bacteria, smoking, chemical pollutants and dust may cause the swelling.  Bronchitis may occur after a bout of flu or severe cold, especially among people with weakened body resistance like smokers and alcoholics. It would help to know the results of the chest x-ray. The results of the xray together with a complete medical and physical examination would help in reaching a diagnosis. Continue with the medications prescribed and drinking plenty of water may help. It is important that he goes  for a follow-up check up with his doctor.

Take care and regards.

Take care and keep us posted.