Congestive Heart Failure Community
high pressure in right side of heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

high pressure in right side of heart

Yesterday my doctor performed an echo for the first time. I have been seeing him for 4 years now and had a stress test 2 years ago. He seemed a bit suprised abd told me that the right side of my heart was under a large amount of pressure and is sending me to a pulmonologist and to have a ct. I am scared and all he told me is that it is serious and could cause me to drop dead. YES these were his words. I have no idea what i am facing here other than he said the right side isnt supplying the lungs with blood properly. any help will be appreciated as my ct is friday but i am freaking out a bit.
How soon is your ct scheduled?  If it were me, I would order the echocardiogram results and look the results up.  The echocardiogram is only a tool and sometimes does not show everything accurately or as they really are.  Were you dehyrated that day?  This would affect the reading.  The only true test to find out for sure how much pressure is in the valves of your heart, is to have an angiogram where they go through a catheter into the heart and measure the pressure.  
My ct is scheduled for today at 3pm. I had the echocardiogram on Tuesday and my doctor came in to read the results with me. He really just sat there going hmmm ahhh mmhmmm ok .... he started by saying that the heart looked strong and healthy then got to another picture and called in the tech for other angles and turned to tell me that the pressure on the right side of the heart was very high and that left was doing what it was suppose to. I dont know if he is really as worried as he sounds because he keeps telling me that as bad as the right side is i could easily die. so I have to wonder why am i waiting to have these tests done. Also he has scheduled a stress test for the same day i meet with the pulmonologist, personally i would think that stressing a heart that as he says is ready to go isnt a good idea. I am thinking about postponing that test a day or so til after the pulmonologist. But honestly i dont know what to do. He never gave me any information that i could look up just told me on the phone yesterday that i have severe pulmonary hypertension. I am very confussed and dont know exactly what to do or where to look for information about my condition. i have read alot about meds and lifestyle and diet changes but as of now he hasnt changed any of my meds. I currently take metrpolol 50mg 2x a day and benicar for hbp also ambien for sleep and lasix for water edima. any ideas what to do next?
You need to find a new doctor. My husband had a new pacemaker in December & today 4-1-14 had to had it totally redone. The original doctor had the leads in wrong place, they were too large & they removed the unit because is was only in superficial.

Just saying because we thought he had a good doctor but he quacked & it sounds like your doctor quacks too. Don't mess around, get another opinion.

Just the fact he say you could drop dead & take his time doing nothing should convince you. Good luck Drake.

Frances/Houston, tx. relieved in Medical Center
Sounds like you may have Pulmonary Hypertension. It is where the pressures in the artery going from the right side of the heart to the lungs are high. It can cause the right side of the heart to become enlarged. You may want to ask if this is what he thinks you have it is you will need to see a Pulmonary Hypertension specialist good luck.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition