Congestive Heart Failure Community
lo wered ejection fraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

lo wered ejection fraction

Just diagnosed with a 43% ejection fraction and my doctor prescribed Avapro.  Is this the proper treatment??  He gave me samples of 150 mg tablets and said I could cut them in half and just take a half a pill once a day.  What do you think about that?
Tags: Avapro
Hi benita68,

I'm not sure if you know this, but there is a link for "Health topics" (scroll to top of page) where you can find quite a bit of information on conditions, procedures and medications.  Here is the link for avapro:

http://www.medhelp.org/drugs/show/3149

When is your follow up appointment?  Any explanation as to why the drop in the EF?

You need to be on some kind of blood pressure medicine.  Have you taken blood pressure medicine in the past?  

Deb
Your heart is not pumping at full strength as only 43% of the blood/oxygen received is pumped into circulation (normal is 55 to &%%).  Not properly treated can increase left ventricle dimensions and a further decrease in EF.  Below 29% is the heart failure range and symptoms can be pulmonary edema (cause a dry cough and breathing when inclined), shortness of breath, chest pain, etc.  Before an answer to your question the underlying cause for poor contractility of the heart should be dx'd.

Apparently, your blood pressure is assumed to be part of the problem, and I would assume (based on EF estimate) there has been an echocardiogram.  Is there any heart wall movement impairment?  Are heart dimensions within the expected range?  These conditions will lower the EF and should be ruled out.

Avapro is in a group of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow. It works by decreasing the levels of certain chemicals in the body.  ACE inhibitor is also  used to treat kidney problems caused by type 2 (not insulin-dependent) diabetes.  There are other uses for an ACE inhibitor.

The proper dose is subjective in part and symptoms, side effects, etc. would be the criteria.   Avoid drinking alcohol. It can lower your blood pressure and may increase some of the side effects of Avapro. Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking Avapro, unless your doctor has told you to.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood pressure will need to be checked on a regular basis. Keep using this medication even if you feel fine. High blood pressure often has no symptoms.

Before taking Avapro rule out kidney disease; liver disease; congestive heart failure; or
if you are dehydrated. If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take this medication.  Take care.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition