Congestive Heart Failure Community
low ejection fraction and hard exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

low ejection fraction and hard exercise

I have a low left ejection fraction (about 35%0 but do 100 mile bike rides regularly. It seems ok to me but should I back off to light exercise
Tags: Exercise
I'm surprised you have the sustained ability to do the 100 mile bike ride.  Obviously, your system has compensated very well for a reduction of blood supply with each heartbeat as indicated with an EF of 35%.

Aerobic exercise is recommended for heart patients, but if a good outcome can be predicted from rigorous activity may require professional consultation taking into consideration your general health, etc.  A well-conditioned heart has stronger contractions of the left ventricle, and that would be beneficial for a low EF.  What is your heart rate with your bike riding and heart rate at rest?  Do you take medication?

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Exercise does help in improving heart function where the low EF is due to myocardial infarction. However a 100mile bike ride is a very strenuous activity. Either you now have an improved EF or the heart is well compensated by corollary artery supply. Please consult a cardiologist and go for a repeat ECHO and stress test and see if you should really be staring so hard.
Hope this helps. Take care!
I take lisinopril. I will get back to you on heart rates, I don't usually keep a heath monoter  on when I ride. Perhaps I should. The rides I do are long but not super high heart rate.  they are not sprint  style rides. thanks for your thoughts.
Following an MI in 2001 my EF was 33% which dropped to 23% after two more MI's at the end of 2002. I got back into exercising reasonably hard including fell walking and some running. This may be because my heart is compensating very well due to my age (now 46) and the fact that I used to be a very good athlete. This all sounds good however, I have a note of caution for you. I have had to ease off the exercise recently partly because my consultant is concerned that too much regular aerobically demanding exercise can cause problems such as further dilation of the left ventricle. Now it does depend on the level of damage to your heart. Mine is badly damaged due to the MI's and although I can sometimes tolerate exercise to a reasonable level it may actually be detrimental to me in the long term (I have heart failure) even though I love exercise. If this is the case for you perhaps some moderation of your activity may be in order.
After my first MI, I was told to listen to my body, that it would tell me how much I could do.  

One of the things they told me to look for is whether I can carry on a conversation, while excercising, that didn't make me feel out of breath.  For me, that meant starting out walking short distances, and working up to being able to do more.  Of course I'm stage 4 heart failure, and getting the built up fluid out of my system was the most important in the beginning.  Now, the fluid level is under control, most of the time, and I do most of the things I did before the MI, including hiking, hunting, fishing, and snake wrangling.  My EF is still 15-20%, but I seem to get along fine.

A word of caution, though.  I knew of a guy who was a runner, and had a great cardiovascular system.  One day he went out for his eveing run and didn't return home.  He was found laying on the side of the road, a victim of a massive heart attack.  So, be careful.

I am 45 male with 30% ef I suffered one silent attack and then a massive attack which left my entire front wall of my heart damaged.I recently tryed to return to work as a power engineer in nothern Alberta but quickly found out that this was to much for me physically.I was quite active prior to all this and now it has been almost two years and I am off work again on LTD trying to figure out my options.I also have a ICD .What kind of life style changes can I look forward to and as well what to exspect  as far as a smart return to work plan?I tried 4 hr then 6 then 8 then 12 and felt all were to much for the mojo I have left is there anyone in a simular situation?
Thanks Dave B
If you do yoga and exercise properly and regularly ejection fraction what ever may be will run away and you enjoy normal health. This is my practical experience.
Please reply me at mail.***@****

My father was told his heart is only pumping out 30-35% of its blood and that normal is 50%...
Can you please guide me, how I can help him in recovering from this and have a normal blood pumping power again?

I read you comment and I am now hopeful, I love him very much, please help..

Thanks and Regards,
Arpit Singhal
I had my heart attack back in August and I do 24 minutes on the treadmill (incline level 9 and 2.8 speed) and 12 minutes on the stationary bike with  a 15% ejection fraction.  My Doctor said I needed a defibrillator even though I don't have an Arrhythmia.   I was hoping that my rigorous exercise to keep my heart strong and perhaps taking anti-arrhythmia drugs would be enough to counter any dangerous arrhythmia which might present itself and not need a defibrillator. I wanted to take a little more time, keep exercising and try to improve my ejection fraction.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition