my mom is 87 with chf
my mom will be 87 in a couple of weeks and have chf, she was in the hospital several months ago with pneumonia and that is when chf was diagonosed.. she had fluid in her lungs.. she was discharged after a couple of weeks and returned to the hospital again after several months at home only to find fluid buildup. she was discharged but went back to the hospital after 3 weeks with again fluid buildup and another small heart attack.. doctor says heart is extremely weak and she will need therepy to make the heart stronger.. well as stubborn as she is she was discharged.. i live in fl and she in hawaii, I have the guilt of not being there with her although i  have seveall brothers near.. is she at her last stage? she barely moves around but to the bathroom to the couchand then to her bed.. she gets tired with just going to the bathroom..how long can this last.. her ejection fraction was 27% the first go around, i am sure it is lower by now.. help me see the truth
My EF is 20%, and I'm doing fine with the proper medication.  CHF is a term used to give a name to the inability of the heart to pump well enough in order to pull the fluid out of the body. At one point I was taking 120 milligrams of lasix a day, along with Coreg, and diltiaziem.  The med therapy took care of the symptoms of CHF for me, and I began to feel better.

I now have stage 5 renal failure, but with dialysis I feel better than I have in almost 4 years.  

However, your mother is 87 year old, so her reaction to proper medication and treatment may not be as good as someone my age, 57.  If she isn't receiving the lasix, diltiaziem, and Coreg, then I would be asking, Why not??

The truth of the matter is, no one can tell you how much longer your mother has, just as they can't tell you how much longer you have.  Somethings are just not for us to know.

I do hope the best for your mother, and you.