Congestive Heart Failure Community
thickening of the aorta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

thickening of the aorta

my husband was just informed that he had thickening of the aorta (left ventricle?). He must now have an MRI to check further. He is an insulin depended diabetic, was just diagnosed w/ kidney failure and will possibly need dialysis or transplant in 6 mos - 1 yr. His blood pressure has been high the past 2 months (particularly the bottom number at 95). He is 58 yrs old. Can you explain if he is in danger w/ the aorta problem. I should note he had open heart surgery about 6 yrs again due to blockage. thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Actually, I am not clear from your query whether it’s the thickening of aorta or the thickening of the left ventricle, as both are separate entities although they are intimately related. Thickening of the ventricle commonly occurs due to hypertension which puts a lot of load on the left ventricle. It can also occur due to diabetes which, if longstanding, produces enlargement of the ventricle initially but in the long run. The ventricular wall actually thins out.
Similarly, the thickening of the aorta is commonly due to the deposition of fat within the lumen of the aorta. Since the doctors have advised an MRI, so there’s a possibility of Aortic dissection in which a tear is produced on the inner lining of the aorta or sometimes a clot/hematoma forms on the inner lining and it can be clearly delineated only on an MRI.

I sincerely hope it helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind Regards.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition