Cord Blood Community
Cord Blood
About This Community:

Cord Blood is the blood that remains in a baby’s umbilical cord after it has been cut and is considered particularly important as it is a rich source of stem cells. Banking cord blood can be used for medical procedures late in life. Discuss topics including cord blood banking and donating.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cord Blood

Has anyone kept their newborns cord blood?  My husband and I are pregnant with your last child and looking at the options of storing the cord blood for future use.  

Thank You
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
We haven't had the opportunity to yet since this is our first pregnancy, but we are planning to. My husband's brother and SIL did it through ViaCord with the baby they adopted in March. They really recommend it to us, and we agree!
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
Hey Em! I was just looking into this. Don't you have to register with a company before the baby is born? I want to do it, too. But I don't know how that works. Have you asked your doctor? I think that's what I'll do. Let me know what you find out!
Blank
Yeah I was just looking at viacord, it is about 2200 dollars up front although they give you the option to pay it in monthly increments with interest.  After that it is 125 a month, I guess insurance will cover the retrieval and use of it if your family needs it, but your DR. has to let them know they need to use it.  I also read that you can donate your cord blood for free and then if you ever need to use it it may still be stored where you donated it other wise they can find a match with another child.  I am not sure that the babies cord blood will 100% be a match to a sibling or parent.
Blank
Hello.  We bank our baby's cord blood through CBR.  If you want, I can give you the representative's info.  She was very nice in explaning everything and wasn't as pushy as ViaCord was.  Plus, ViaCord (I believe) was more expensive but I could be mistaken.  Anyway, let me know if you're interested.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cord Blood Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...