Donating
Does it cost just to donate cord blood? I am a new mommy to be and this is something I am interested in doing. I don't want to bank it for later, just donate it to a child in need.
it does not cost money to donate cord blood. however, most donations are just thrown away by the public cord blood banks because they haven't been processed and stored correctly, or because they don't contain enough stem cells to be useful. in addition, if you should ever need to use stem cells from a public cord blood bank, you would have to pay all of the costs associated with retrieving the blood and whatever treatment is done. most private cord blood banking companies will pay for your use of the stem cells. this page has a bunch of useful information about the differences between public and private banks http://cordadvantage.com/about-americord