Cord Blood Community
What is cord blood?

Cord Blood is the blood that remains in a baby’s umbilical cord after it has been cut and is considered particularly important as it is a rich source of stem cells. Banking cord blood can be used for medical procedures late in life. Discuss topics including cord blood banking and donating.

What is cord blood?

I am completely new to this, but we are going to be expecting a child soon and I want to find out more about cord blood before our little one is born.  Do I have to use a cord blood bank to store it?  What benefits does saving cord blood have?

Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Cord blood is blood collected from the umbilical cord of the baby at the time of birth. This blood is then stored in the cord blood banking facility and can be made available if needed in future.  Cord blood is a rich source of Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs). Umbilical Cord Blood Banking has several advantages, which include solutions for various serious diseases which may occur in future life of the person.
Hope this helps.