What's Up With Cord Blood Banking?/Open Forum
Just out of curiosity...what's the deal with Cord Blood Banking? Has anyone done it, or does anyone plan on doing it? I keep hearing controversial things about it, and I'm a little confused about why.
Also, is it expensive if you DO decide to do it? I received a coupon from the maternity store I went to the other day for $250 off...so it must be pretty expensive.
I just wonder if it's necessary...
That's part of the controversy.  They are borderline playing on every parents worst nightmare, trying to get you to do it, and pay high fees every year for the banking.  When in reality, it is hardly ever needed.

Hi..we actually banked our baby's blood.  It is expensive (we paid over $3,000 for 18 years.  You get a discount if you pay upfront.  We banked with CBR (one of the biggest banks).  I look at it this way.  It's like a life ins policy.  I decided to bank my baby's blood b/c my husband's family has a history of leukemia and cancer but of course I banked it hoping WE'LL NEVER NEED IT.  But it has a lot of potential and research shows a lot of hope for those blood cells from umbilical cord.  It's truly a personal decision.  It took me a lot of thinking b/c on one hand it's expensive but on the other if it'll save my baby's life (if G-d forbid we'll need it) then it's all worth it.
I did cord blood banking with my DD 5 years ago.  We did it because my grandmother and my daddy died from Leukemia and we found out this kind is genetic and I am a carrier of the gene.  We have not had to use it but it is there if we need it.  I am going to ask the Dr. about if I need to do it again for this baby too, or if they could both use the same cord blood if they need it.  I think it was like 250.00 at first and 50.00 a year after that.   I used cryo-cell to store mine.  You can request free info. and it will tell you what all things it works on I know it can be used for diabeties and heart dease.
I wanted too but we didn't and still don't have that kind of money...it's very very expensive and hopefully (GOD willing) not needed but if needed...it's worth it.
Thanks for the input...I will probably not do it, as I am not a wealthy person who can afford to keep paying to have it stored. I also don't think anything major runs in my family or dh's (heart disease, diabetes, etc...)

At least I know I'm not the only one who has wondered about it! :-)
Most of the controversy is that it is extremely expensive, and rarely ever needed.  On the flip side though, if it is needed, it's a lifesaver.

Look into some programs.  If you want to do it and have the money, go ahead.  If you'd be hard pressed for the $$, don't let anyone or anything make you feel bad for not doing it.
I've wondering about it myself, my MIL got it for my nephew & said she wanted to buy it for our baby on the way (I'm 34wks) but I don't think I want her to b/c we didn't do it for my first ds, so I feel odd about doing for one & not the other. I'm not sure the total price but I know every yr she spends several hundred on my nephews cord banking. Which to me is crazy for it to be sooo high, I mean good grief they get the cord from us, we grow it not them!! :)I'd love to know why it costs so much especially since it's suppost to save so many lifes (& it comes from our bodies)u would think they would just set a standard fee for everyone to pay like $20 when u have your baby & then if any one needed it they could use it & the same would go for us if we needed it! But look at what we have to pay for transplants:( Hope u can get more info.
I have always wanted to ask this question, thanks for asking it, now I see
I have heard of it bieng expensive. But you know, I think you could donate it also. If everyone did that, then there would probably be enough to go around. You would posisibly be saving a life also.
Personally, I couldn't NOT do it with both of my DDs regardless of the cost (and believe me, it was a huge expense) as I would have felt an overwhelming sense of guilt should, god forbid, one of them needed it and I didn't do it. We insure the most superficial things in our lives like jewelery, cars, etc so how could I not bank my baby's cord blood? If money is the biggest deterent for you, I know there are lots of CB companies that will offer pretty flexible payment plans so that instead of one large lump sum (+ the $100 or so per year for storage) that you can pay the big fee over the course of a year or 2.
“This is one of the best sources for information on the pros and cons of cord blood banking I have found so far. Hope this helps. ” Please visit http://www.cordbloodnationwide.com/
Our hospital didn't deal with it with my first, but rumor is they do now. I can't afford it but I do want to look into donating. But of us are O+ with good family histories.
some banks are significantly less from what I found. Americord Registry is $1999 upfront with no annual storage, and a few other banks are much less than the CBR price
some banks are more expensive than others. cord blood banking is definitely a good idea if disease runs in your family. i found this comparison of the major US cord blood banking companies. you should check it out if you get a chance. http://cordadvantage.com/product-comparison
what is the cost of one unit of cord blood  especially in India