saving cord blood???
how many of you are saving your babys cord blood??  I am almost 19 weeks pregnant and woudl like to save the babys cord blood but have found thats its costly...  I am 36 and this will likely be my last I have three more 15,12,and 9.  I did not save theirs due to financial reasons and it wasn't popular..  I hink I need to make a decision soon..  
I have thought about this, too but for the same reasons I don't think I will do it. It is very expensive! It's such a great idea, though.
thanks for asking this, i am curious too. one pamphlet i got said it was around $2,000 to do which is pretty costly.
Speaking of costly...I know this is kind of off the subject and I hope I don't take away from your post, but here in MN for women that are on medical assistance they now have stopped paying for circumcision! So now if families want to have it done they have to pay $500 out of pocket. I'm not on medical assistance but my girlfriend is and just had a little boy. She was shocked. She scraped the money together because she didn't want him to look different, but I was surprised that they aren't paying for that here anymore. Anyone know of other states that are doing this now? I have a feeling there will be more uncircumsized little boys running around in the next few years!
the office i go to gave me a pamphlet saying it is 1700 and you can make payments. with needing to get everything for twins it is probably out of my budget, but i wish i could. the things it can be used to treat are amazing.
We banked our DD's blood with CBR.  DH's family has a history of leukemia and other types of cancer and I didn't want to not do it and regret it later.  I just pray and hope that we'll never use it.  I understand that it's costly but if your family has any history of diseases, I'd say do it.
i am going to do it, but i like the idea of researching other companies and comparing prices. if you can't afford to save it for yourself, i would like to encourage you to look into donating the cord blood, since it can help others as well.  it costs nothing to donate (they just send you the collection kit you bring with you). why just throw away something that could save someone's life? doing a quick online search for "donating cord blood" can give you info.
I too thought about this, my hospital had no information on it, so they were no help. But I did read that you can also donate it for free, which is what I want to too.
I would suggest you do a search on the internet because there are a lot of private cord blood banks.  I want to do the same but it is costly ranges I have found to be in the 900-1800.  It seems like such a good thing.  I am thinking about it because my mother is ill and may be helped by it.  They say 25% chance for match in family members and of course 100% for the baby it came from :-)
I did it with both my kids and there is no price on the possibilty to save their lives. We insure our cars, homes and jewellery and this is an insurance for our kids' lives. I would highly recommend doing it. If not, please donate your cord blood to help save another child.