Calcium in coronary artery
Is calcium in coronary artery and plaque the same?  My husband had a EBCT recently which found a large amount of calcium in r. coronary artery.  He had MI last  June and has stent in L. side.
(Sorry, I can not remember which artery) The radiologist said the r. artery is approx 50% blocked.  I have read that a lower percentage of blockage is worse than a higher blockage, i.e.  80-90%.  What is your opinion? Thank you.
The higher percentage of a blockage is worse.  If something is 50% blocked, bloodflow is better than if it's 80% blocked.

I believe calcium and blockages are of the same vein.
"Is calcium in coronary artery and plaque the same?"

I'm not an expert but have just sarted reading since I also was recently told I have a high calcium score (CAC = 730). Yes, calcium in the coronary arteries and plaque are the same. The plaque can be hard or soft.  Both forms are dangerous. Usually, a higher calcium reading correlates with increased blockages.  The more an artery is blocked (measured in percentage) the worse it is.  In my case although I had a high calcium score, a CT-angiogram spotted only three small partial blockages (<30%). So apparently, the calcium can be spread out over a large area and not necessarily cause a significant blockage.  Still, statistics show that a high calcium score is predictive of increased chance of a heart attack.

I hope your husband is on a statin to reduce cholesterol.  Studies show that lowering cholesterol leads to lowering of the calcium scores over time. I just started with lipitor and after a month my total cholesterol dropped from 210 to 131.

Best of luck

Tony
Awesome!
Yes, I was pretty happy when I saw how much my total cholesterol dropped.  Now I wonder why I resisted taking a statin for so long. I would have been much better off being on it for the last few years.
I have recently had a stent inserted into my left anterior descending artery and thought twice before starting statins, due to the liver and neurological damage statins can cause. Still not convinced they are the safest option. Have you had any side effects?
i take liptor and tricor and its made all the differences in me wish i had started them sooner have had no side affects get my blood levels checked every 6 months and liver alls good .