Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
Coronary Artery Disease

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Coronary Artery Disease

My father, 86 years old, live in a city at high altitude (about 8000 ft). He had a heart attack about nine months ago, and now is under several medications, due to his age, doctors did not recomend to do any other treatment but medications. Now he is doing great for his age. We would like to take him to a one week trip to a place at low altitute (almost at sea level). To get there (or get back) will be a two and a half hour trip by car.
Could it be harmful for him? What precautions should we take?
Avatar n tn
    If you are concerned about if he is healthy enough to travel, that is a question for his doctor.   He would have to be in pretty poor shape for his doctor to suggest he should not go.  Two and a half hours in a car is not all that long.  We take my 93 year old mother in law at least once per month on a trip that long.  We do stop half way at a rest stop and that gives her an opportunity to walk and stretch a little.  In September, my mother in law, along with two daughters and a niece travelled by car to British Columbia for a weeks vacation.  We live in Wyoming at 6000 feet and they had no difficulty going to near sea level and returning to altitude.  
    Also, we often visit the old family ranch, 7 hours from here and go over a 10000 foot mountain pass to get there.  Again, no problem.  
    Some other advice you did not ask for:  Life should be an adventure, and an elderly person should not be excluded from that adventure.  Most people at that age welcome risk if it means improving the quality of their life.  
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your advice...
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
RubyWitch Life is short......ride you... Comment
May 05
Calex324 is ... Comment
04/15
Calex324 joined this community
Welcome them!
04/15
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track Your Heart Rate