Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
Nuclear Stress - EKG normal but image shows ischemia
About This Community:

Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) (aka: Coronary Artery Disease (CAD); Atherosclerosis; is the leading cause of death worldwide. It is a disease in which a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up inside the coronary arteries. These arteries supply oxygen-rich blood to your heart muscle. Over time, CHD can weaken the heart muscle and lead to heart failure or irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmia). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Coronary Heart Disease patients, their loved ones, and caregivers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nuclear Stress - EKG normal but image shows ischemia

I recently had a nuclear stress test where the ekg was normal, but, the image showed some ischemia.  My doctor does not think a cath is necessary, but, if I have some blockage, would it not be better to address it now, before it starts showing up on an ekg?
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
159619_tn?1318997813
It would be better to know, however your doctor interprets your images and makes a decision. He most likely feels the test is a false positive and will most likely repeat it in a year. Just make sure you know the symptoms of heart disease and if any develop see your doctor.

I would trust what they say.

Jon
Blank
976897_tn?1379171202
There is no guarantee that your blockages will worsen in a given period of time. Some people grow blockages quickly, which you will tell by angina, and some take years.
Blank
63984_tn?1385441539
I agree with the other posters.  Keep in mind the ekg can't diagnose heart artery blockage, it is more an indicator of your heart beat.
I'd recommend you get a written procedure report of your stress test, it should show to what degree your arteries have blockages.  Generally, no action is taken with trivial blockages, usually drugs are prescribed for moderate ischemia, and when the blockages are over 70% intervention is often recommended.  
Keep us informed.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
addict3 commented on Staying Active with c...
Sep 19
547913_tn?1317359267
Blank
jimi1822 commented on Staying Active with c...
Sep 19
406584_tn?1399591666
Blank
10356 commented on Staying Active with c...
Sep 19
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track Your Heart Rate
Start Tracking Now
Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979