Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
Problems with PVCs

Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) (aka: Coronary Artery Disease (CAD); Atherosclerosis; is the leading cause of death worldwide. It is a disease in which a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up inside the coronary arteries. These arteries supply oxygen-rich blood to your heart muscle. Over time, CHD can weaken the heart muscle and lead to heart failure or irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmia). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Coronary Heart Disease patients, their loved ones, and caregivers.

Problems with PVCs

Hello, I am a 58 year old female and I have been told recently that I have PVCs.

I first found out that I have PVCs after I lost consciousness at work, while working the cash register at the Goodwill at a large "Labor Day Sale". I was taken to the hospital by ambulance, admitted and kept for one day. I was told I have PVCs. Occasionally I do feel them, but its usually very fleeting. What I felt was a quck "fluttering" in my chest, and an a bit of dizziness, which usually quickly passed.

I had occasionally had episodes of chest pain and rapidly beating or a feeling of thumping in my chest. I at first thought that someone was shaking the bed, but it was my heart shaking. It almost always happens when I am lying down, watching TV or reading in the evening. Often, I would be awoken from sleep with the pain. I usually got up and walked around, as this seemed to be the only thing that helped. I did go to the emergency room one time, and they didn't find anything wrong.

Yesterday I was very weak feeling and fatigued. Now, since I have two autoimmune disorders, RA and UC I expect fatigue, and was not surprised. This was a little worse than usual, though. The pain started again last night, soon after I went to sleep. I sat up, and eventually I was able to lie down, and go to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I felt terrible. My chest hurt, and I was so weak I had to set down several time just making coffee and feeding my cats. I usually have stomach cramps with this, also.

I don't have insurance, and was told that I am eligible for medicare, but I would have to wait 24 months! I guess the next time this happens I will just go to the emergency room.

I am thinking that I may have something a little more serious than just PVCs, and wondered what kind of advice or input others may have who are also experiencing this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Your symptoms could be due to Syncope, which is temporary loss of consciousness and posture, described as "fainting" or "passing out." It's usually related to temporary insufficient blood flow to the brain. It can occur due to cardiac disorders or blood pressure fluctuations. So, your symptoms could be due to PVCs. They usually do not need any therapy unless the PVCs are symptomatic and are associated with underlying heart disease and periods of ventricular tachycardia. As you have symptoms of chest pain, you should consult a cardiologist regarding this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.