Very concerned for my cardiac health
My name is Crissy, I'm 24 years old and for the last year I have been having heart disease symptoms, with no answers as to why! I have seen a cardiologist, who ordered a slue of tests (I've had an echo, a basic stress test, a 24 hour halter monitor, a 30 day halter monitor, complete blood draw, chest x ray, and a million ekg's).all the tests were looked over by two Cardiologists. The only answers I have received are A.) you have PVC's (that are benign) and B.) you have Sinus Tachycardia. No answer as to why. I was first prescribed 10 mg propranolol as needed (I took twice a day) but am asthmatic, so my Cardio switched me to 40 mg of verapamil (sp?) which landed me in the E.R. because it did NOTHING for me. ER doc switched me to Atenolol 25 mg twice a day, which was ok for the first two days. On the third day, (today) my heart rate was in the low 60's 12 hours after taking it and I was extremely uncomfortable so I did not take this mornings dose. I am going to take it at two so that I don't actually miss a complete dose and then continue it once a day at the same time. I honestly do not know what else to ask for. I asked for a Cardiac Cath and no one thinks it's necessary, although heart disease is the number 1 killer on both sides of my family. I am going to see an electro specialist as two other doctors (not cardiologists) have suggested it may be an electrical problem.
Here are my basic daily symptoms:
extreme fatigue, like I'm going to pass out (always tired)
rapid heart rate, even at times resting in the 120's (without beta blockers)
out of breath
feeling as though my heart struggles to beat
feeling as though someone is sitting on my heart (not my chest, my HEART)
heart skipping, a lot, especially after eating
not often at all, but slight angina from time to time.
My mother is 43 and just underwent heart bypass last week after 7 months of similar symptoms and finally finding severe blockages, I know I'm a lot younger, but with these symptoms I really fear the worst.
Any help, ideas, suggestions, stories.. etc.. are greatly appreciated.
If you passed all those tests, then I doubt if you have disease significant enough to be concerned. I assume you've had blood tests to see what your electrolyte levels are. I seriously wouldn't risk a heart cath over this but perhaps they would be willing to perform a non-invasive heart scan. Maybe a CT-Angio and calcium score, or maybe a nuclear perfusion scan. Do you get the symptoms of angina at rest/during exertion or both? how long do the episodes last for? If you sit down and relax or stand still, do the symptoms go away quickly?
It honestly depends. I went to the E.R. on Sunday, and had a pulse of 127 bpm, resting and had not done anything strenuous that day. It will stay that high for some time, maybe 10 minutes or longer in some instances and then come down. But without fail it will rise again, especially if I'm not on beta blockers. Atenolol at 50mg a day though I feel is too much. After only two full days of being on it, my heart rate was already in the low 60's. Maybe I'm just so used to it being higher and that made me so uncomfortable. I had blood work on everything as far as I'm aware, from glucose, thyroid, b12, anemia etc... and honestly, they have sent me to see a psychologist, because the first assumption was anxiety, and he found that the only anxiety he really felt I had was surrounding my health and not being able to find out the cause of my symptoms. Prescribed me xanex, which I tried ONCE and felt absolutely horrible on and would never take again. Thanks so much for your time in replying to me!!!
I have gone threw the same as you even to have agervated the doctors enough to give me a heart cath health anxiety has crippled me as I do have a few heart issues but anxiety just brings them on worse. I don't no how to let you know how to fight it off as I deal with yo this day. I'm even the same age as you . Pick up a hobby or some hours at work but do something the time you have to thing is just bad and it don't take long It can pop into my head for a second and ruin weeks of my life. Xanex has been my worst nightmare and its also saved me. DO NOT get addicted to the stuff . Oh and the more monitors you were the worse it'll be they'll eventually find something that everyone has and have to look into it good luck. I know it sounds weird and for two years I fought argued everything that it wasn't anxiety gantit some wasn't but it makes aloy worse.
Hi crissy my name is Rick, I hope your a lot better, when I had chest pains ,they couldn't find anything neither, until my Angiogram then they found the blockages ..I had Angina both times ,once playing beach volleyball , once dancing ..I know these are good warning signs to have ,some people don't get that lucky, or they ignore them ..I had  shortness of breath and tight ness in the chest ,felt like someone was sitting on my chest, but went away at rest.. I had triple bypass at 42 and just had two more stents at 55 feel much better, eating better and exercising better, take baby aspirin every other day, and cholesterol med and blood pressure every day. I also have nitro pills with me every were I go just in case. In my case it was a combo, hereditary and business stress, and to much eating on the run.. I take real good vitamins now ,let me know if you need the list I take, all good for the heart ,your really to young for this ,hope what ever you had , everything is better now take care and good luck !!!!
I actually found an answer! But, not with a cardiologist.
I saw an electrophysiologist, cardiologist, endocrinologist, etc. Had hundreds of tests....

I actually found out 6 months back (through 4 hour glucose test) that I suffer from a condition known as Reactive Hypoglycemia. This left me with chronic, constant low blood sugars. I believe it to be a partial cause to my cardiac related symptoms. I had an upper endoscope completed in June by a Gastro specialist & it came back that I was positive for severe H-pylori infection. The lining of my stomach severely inflamed & infected. (This is a nasty bacteria that wreaks havoc on the body). I was successfully treated for that, had a negative swab last week, lost 40 lbs & my reactive hypoglycemia is 80% in remission. (HPylori causes my condition, so crazy!)

Needless to say, I've had a rough 3 years, lots of tears, fear, prayer, & tests.
I feel sooooo much better these day! It's been 3 years since it all began & I'm now (finally) back to myself again. Doctors told me I was insane, anxiety ridden, etc. I knew better & through persistence, I saved my own life! I was on a road to death. When I wrote this a few years ago I had no idea how sick I was about to get... Had my gallbladder removed, started having sugar readings in the 40s, couldn't get out of bed, became so depressed. I almost gave up. But, there is hope! Anyone looking at my post, know there is hope!