Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
having a coronary angiogram

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

having a coronary angiogram

i am 40 yrs of age. last oct 6 i did have a myocardial infarction as the doctor says, in layman's term  heart attack. i feel ok now after 4 days at the hospital 2 days in icu and 2 days at med ward. they are requiring me for now to have this test "coronary angiogram". what i want to know is: is it really needed? do i really need to have it?

could someone please help me understand.
I'm not sure what cardiologist would agree that the electron beam tomography is more accurate than an angiogram, but I doubt mine would agree.  The heart cath is widely considered by all cardiologists I've talked to to be the gold standard in testing for arterial blockages/CAD.  If you had a heart attack, something caused it and they probably think it was a blockage in your arteries if they're recommended the heart cath.  Honestly, I'm a little surprised about the wait - many times, unless there are preventative reasons, they try and do a heart cath as soon as possible to minimize damage.  There are many good sites that have info on the angiogram/heart cath - recommend doing a google search for such sites.  I've had 8 heart caths over the past few years, and am 40 as well.  It does have some risk, but I think it is pretty minimal and is not that difficult a procedure.  If you need more info after checking google, let me know!  Take care, and best of luck to you.  
My last heart attack, I wasn't given more than 15 minutes in the treatment room before they were wheeling me down the hall to have an angiogram. I am surprised that wasn't done when you went in with the heart attack. It's becoming standard procedure nowadays. In answer to your question, yes you need to have this done. The sooner the better. You will be awake during this test. The only complaint I had was the back ache I get becuase you have to lay flat for several hours after.

Good luck, Ally
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
RubyWitch Life is short......ride you... Comment
May 05
Calex324 is ... Comment
04/15
Calex324 joined this community
Welcome them!
04/15
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track Your Heart Rate