Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
what could have happened to my dad?

Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) (aka: Coronary Artery Disease (CAD); Atherosclerosis; is the leading cause of death worldwide. It is a disease in which a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up inside the coronary arteries. These arteries supply oxygen-rich blood to your heart muscle. Over time, CHD can weaken the heart muscle and lead to heart failure or irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmia). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Coronary Heart Disease patients, their loved ones, and caregivers.

what could have happened to my dad?

My dad now 71 was diagnosed 12 years ago with diffuse triple vessel disease. His doctor ruled out bypass because his disease is diffuse disease. My dad got pacemaker for AV block in 2007. He was fine since 2007 but his EF and echo tests showed decline in function in the last 2 years. For example he had no AR in 2010 but developed AR in 2012. Last month suddenly he developed breathlessness, sweating, fluid in lungs and suffered a lot but luckily survived after hospitalization. He started becoming better with in 15 minutes after hospitalization and treatment with Sod, Pot, LMWX, and other heart meds that he usually uses. He was very normal the next day and discharged in stable condition. His official diagnoses is ACS and LVF settled. What does that mean? What is the cause of his symptoms? Bad news is the same symptoms repeated within 3 weeks and he demised. Could the doctor do something else after the first attack to prevent the second fatal one? Please help
Diffuse disease is difficult to treat with intervention because the lining of the vessel is completely coated, spread out. There is no way to determine which areas, if any, will increase causing a blockage. Perhaps considering an aggressive regime of statins might be an idea. I have read a 'few' reports which have stated such medication treatments have given noticeable reduction in obstructions. Blood tests are required to ensure a high level of statin is not causing liver issues.
Thank you for your comment. Appreciate you clarifying why it is difficult to treat diffuse vessel disease.