Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
2 MONTHS POST OP TUMMY TUCK

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

2 MONTHS POST OP TUMMY TUCK
Hi, I am 2 months post op from having a tummy tuck/muscle repair.  I am still experiencing a burning, searing sensation in my lower left side, when I sneeze, or get up from a lying position.  I told my plastic surgeon about it, and she told me that the sutures take up to 18 mo to dissolve.  It is normal. She told me it highly unlikely anything wrong.

Is it possible that I injured myself or just strained my muscle.  At about 6 weeks post op I developed an infection and had to take Levaquin.  What should I do besides taking pain meds.
I am curious as to what an MRI would show.

Thank you for your expertise.
In the absence of any physical finding, it is difficult to identify the source of your discomfort, other than to speculate that it is related to scar tissue and pulling from the original surgery.  the deep sutures placed at the time of surgery were in the muscle fascia and not the muscle itself.  The history of infection might also point to some foreign body reaction to suture material.  I doubt that an MRI would be helpful.

It is most likely your symptoms will disappear with time, but if they persist, you should obvious return to your surgeon for a reevaluation.