Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
4 years after tummy tuck...swollen/bloating/pain

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I had an 8 hour tummy tuck and hip/inner thigh lipo operation 9-04.  Got pregnant 5-05, only gained 19 lbs due to how tight I was...Ever since the sugery, I get extremely bloated and swollen in the ab area.  It doesn't matter if it's fruit, meat, milk, etc.  I feel good in the morning, but after I eat I am so uncomfortable.  I feel like I am always holding my tummy in and it is so uncomforatble. Plus, if I bend over at the waist, I have intese sharp pains in my ab stitch area.  They can actually happen if I am just sitting.  It feels as though something is ripping out my stiches...this still happens after 4 years.  I know there are no stitches left, but could there be a hernia or damage of some sort.  I don't get much sympathy from doctors that I've talked to because it was elective and on the outside everything looks fine.  Help....I am so uncomfortable and have pain when I bend over.  Thanks..
It is not clear if the discomfort you are experiencing is secondary to the tightening of your abdominal fascia at the time of the original surgery or related to a gastrointestinal problem.  You need to consult with both a plastic surgeon and a gastroenterologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.