Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Abnormal swelling in stomach/pelvis

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Abnormal swelling in stomach/pelvis

My mom, who is 53 years old and in very healthy condition, got a tummy tuck about 3 1/2 months ago, and is experiencing extremely abnormal swelling in the stomach and pelvis area.  It looks like she is 6 or 7 months pregnant, and it feels hard.  We went to the doctor and he said that she needed a cat scan on the stomach area.  The doctor said it is NOT fluid build up because the stomach felt really hard, and he let us know that the swelling was abnormal and has gotton worse since the fist check up which was a month after the surgery, and that he did not know why.  Nothing showed up on the cat scan, but we still have to meet with the doctor next week to talk about it.  

My mom is feeling hopeless and depressed because she is worse than before, is irritated by the massive swelling, and cant fit into her clothes.  She was considered a "great" candidate for this procedure because she is skinny everywhere else in her body except the stomach, after having 3 kids.  I feel horrible for my mom and wish I could help.  I wish she never did this surgery , because now we are worried about it.  Will this extreme swelling ever go away?  She has scar tissue, but we dont even care about that anymore.  I just want my mom to get back to normal, and I am afraid that the doctor is going to say that there is nothing he could do, or that it just takes time.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?  If so, how long did it take to heal, or what did the doctor do for you?  Please help, I have tried to research all of this information on the internet, but found it hard to find people that are experiencing the same problems, or if there is even a solution to this.  I just pray that my mom won't spend the rest of her life like this :(  I appreciate any comments on this and I pray that this never happens to anyone.  

Thank you so much.
Your mother's situation is unusual and could be the result of a number of different causes . It is not possible to diagnose her condition based on your description or assume that anyone else with a history of a similar swelling had exactly the same diagnosis and prognosis.  Her physician is the best resource for evaluation and care.
A related discussion, swelling after tummy tuck was started.