Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Any ideas?

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Any ideas?
I had a tt with muscle repair & hernia repair on 8/11/2009 - I was in hospital for 3 nights due to fever and my first dr follow-up on 8/17/2009 - well I about had heart failure when they uncovered my bandages and there was  a foul odor, which I understood after 6 days, and some black purple skin at the incision line.  Dr told me I had been walking too  upright and caused this to happen - he is concerned about necropsy.  He cleaned me up and put me on what I thought was  a weird regimen of applying this silvadean topically to the affected area, covering with plastic wrap with 4/4's over these.  I m doing this 3 times  a day until Tuesday and then I have another appt. with him.  I have not been running  fever, and have been in a recliner for more than a week now.  I must admit it does look better but the sulfa cream stinks on it's own without the rest of the mess.  I have not smoked in 13 years, no longer am diabetic but have had a problem with diabetic neuropathy.  Any thoughts????
You clearly have had necrosis (death) of skin and fat in the lower abdominal area due to compromised circulation to the tissues.  The most common cause would be in someone who is an active smoker (not applicable to you).  There are other reasons for this complication that can be discussed with your surgeon.  Treatment involves topical antibiotics (the Silvadene), sometimes systemic antibiotics, and local wound care including progressive debridement of dead tissue to allow secondary healing to occur.  Sometimes a permanent or temporary skin graft may be necessary to obtain rapid wound closure.  It sounds like you are being treated appropriately for this unfortunate problem.