Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Axillary tissue removal side effects

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Axillary tissue removal side effects

2 and a half weeks ago I had axillary breast tissue removal from both arm pits.  The left side is fine, no pain, but the right is open, and draining.  I don't have a lot of pain at the incision site, as much as down my entire arm.  I can't extend my elbow all the way and the pain in the back of my arm is extremely sensitive (about and 8 out of 10).  Is this normal?  My surgeon is on vacation for a while and the hospital wont do much of anything for me (other than to say "let it drain")   Cant you offer any suggestions?  
Any surgeon should have equivalent coverage while he/she is away.  I would call your surgeon's office and find out who is covering for him.  The issue of extensive arm pain at this time needs to be evaluated, particularly with an open wound.  In addition, there may have been some injury to a sensory nerve leading to your symptoms.