Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Breast Development after Adolescent Open Heart

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

My daughter had open heart surgery at age 2.  She is now 18 and is terribly concerned about the underdevelopment of her breasts.  She has always had a very positive attitude about the scar and has never shown any desire to camouflage.    I would greatly appreciate your input> We are eternally grateful for the capability of the medical profession in their ability to correct potential life limiting problems.  But if this is something that you have encountered or recommendations to fuether research I would welcome your direction.
It is possible for the scar from childhood open heart surgery constrict breast tissue development when placed across breast tissue, occasionally resulting in asymmetry.  However, it sounds like your daughter simply has small breast development simply as a result of natural breast tissue responsiveness to hormones.  The obvious solution would be breast augmentation, a safe and effective way of enhancing breast size.  I would suggest a consultation with a plastic surgeon to evaluate her condition, assuming this a route your daughter is interested in pursuing.
At what age do you feel normal development is complete and augementation considered as an option .
A related discussion, brest augmentation....?? was started.