Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Cheek bruising

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Cheek bruising

Approximately 2 months ago I fell and smashed my face very badly.  The entire side of my left cheek was badly bruised and swollen greatly.  I am unemployed & have no health insurance so did not seek medical help.  Now there is an area below my left eye, right on the cheek bone there that remains sore & has some twitching and tingling going on in that spot.  You can feel some swelling.  What could this be?  Should I be worried?
As a result of the injury, you probably had an internal bleed into the soft tissues of the cheek.  You could also have sustained a fracture of the cheekbone.  A major sensory nerve (the infraorbital nerve), which supplies sensation to the cheek, exits a small hole just below the rim of the orbital bone in that area and is often involved when the cheek bone is fractured.  Residual scar tissue from a bleed, and possible bruising of the nerve in that area with possible fracture of the cheekbone might explain your symptoms.  

The true diagnosis of these injuries can only be made by a medical examination of the area and X-rays.  At this late stage, the symptoms and the lump will probably resolve without treatment.