Chronic Back Pain and Scoliosis
I have Scoliosis and chronic back pain. Over the last 10 years, I have seen an orthopedic surgeon who said he can't do anything for the pain because it is muscular.  I have see a chiropractor and it works only temporarily to relive the pain.  I have seen a physical therapist and my back still hurts.  I have seen a neurologist and she said that the only thing she could do is give me botulism injections into the major muscles of my back every 6 months for the rest of my life.  I have been on muscle relaxers and pain killers until I have developed allergic reactions to them.  I have read articles about having strong stomach muscles to help support the back, and after several pregnancies I don't even have stomach muscles in the right place let alone strong ones.  I was wondering if abdominal wall surgery might help to off-set some the back pain?  Before pregnancy I didn't have this pain.  I work out on a regular basis but I have a hard time doing sit ups and crunches.  Also if you think it would help how would I get insurance to pay for it and who do I start with? a Plastic Surgeon? My Family Physician?

Thank You for your time,
Jennifer
While the rectus muscles are not directed treated with an abdominoplasty, tightening of the rectus fascia ovelying the muscles has been documented to help with chronic back pain. I would not count on getting insurance approval for the procedure, unless your coverage is extraordinary and your carrier is liberal about approving procedure.  I perform a huge number of these procedures and have never had any covered for this reason.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.