Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Dermal Fillers

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Dermal Fillers
I am considering eyelid surgery and the doctor also recommended a dermal filler between the brows to decrease a very deep line.  He did not offer the name of the filler he will be using.  After looking on-line regarding fillers I came across Radiesse and ArteFill.  What I like about the ArteFill is the long-term benefits (5 years) and not knowing the cost perhaps I'll be saving money in the long run as Radiesse and other dermal fillers only last maybe one year at a cost around $800 a visit.  Please, if you have experience with ArteFill I would be interested in knowing your opinion (as you have helped me in the past), thank you.
I have used Artefill in the glabellar folds for deep lines.  This is an off label use since the filler is approved for only the nasolabial folds.  On the few patients I have treated in that area, it appeared to work well.  While expensive, the filler should be near permanent. If the problem is merely a result of muscle action, then it is unclear how well this will work. However, your problem seems to be present even without muscle action.  This treatment should  then be considered.
I have an extremely pronounced glabellar line (vertical line between eyes) - Grade 4.  I tried Radiesse with Botox three times, lasted about 9 mos first time and only 2-3 months each time after that.   We then tried Juvederm and botox which only lasted just over a month (and cost $1000).  I'm an extremely active 37/m and my body seems to metabolize these fillers way too quickly.  I'm interested in Artefill too.   Anyone have any input if it works for glabellar?