Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Extra Skin Removal

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Extra Skin Removal

Hi.  I am really not sure what type of surgery one who class this as.  My situation is that I am 5'2" tall.  I was stricken with chronic migraine headaches about 14 years ago.  I went from being on the go, morning, noon, and night running after my daughter as a single mother and working full time to being bed ridden in less than a year.  It took many years to find the proper diagnosis and many of the specialist that I was directed to all thought this was depression.  I have never been depressed, even through this whole ordeal.  Unfortunatly, many of the medications that I have been prescribed and the fact that I went from full non-stop active to laying in bed 4-5 days at a time with only activity was to bathroom to vomit, I put on quite alot of weight.  I always was between 115-125 pre-migraines.  Before I knew it I hit the 200 mark.  I have since gained better control of my migraines (as much as possible as they are weather related) and have lost a good amount of weight.  Here's where my problem is.  I have had 4 complete hip bone to hip bone operations on my belly.  After losing the weight I have lost (appx. 50 lbs.) I am left with a large "skin flap".  I don't care so much that this is ugly, what I do care about is that it is extremely uncomfortable in clothing, without clothing, and in the summertime, this one more than in the past, I have been able to regain my activity level and when I go outdoors and sweat, it ends up causing sores underneath.  They are even more painful and get infected.  I am disabled from the migraines and can't afford to pay for treatment.  If you can help, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
Dee Charboneau
There are many patients who, deservedly or not, have requested free surgery in this forum.  It is highly unlikely that any surgeon in private practice will provide this service, even if the patient will somehow cover the expenses of anesthesia and facility costs. It is possible that some university teaching programs with plastic surgery residents in training will offer discounted services.  I suggest you try that resource.