Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Eyelid surgery

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Eyelid surgery

I had surgery done on my eylids 10 days ago.  Combined with rhinoplasty.  Nose is healing fine.  I had quite a bit of swelling and bruising due to the double technique which is understandable.  Now, 10 days later, I am a little concerned about my eyes and just want to make sure that this is a normal part of the healing process.  I had both upper and lower lids done.  Incision in crease and incision below my lashes on lower lid.  You can see some slight lumpiness under the skin beneath the lower lashes of my left eye.  It is not in the area of the stitch line.  Also, my lower lids are so tight that they droop downward and change the appearance of my eyes.  Are the lumps of skin just some scar tissue and will it heal?  More important, will my skin stretch a little more and my lower lid not look so pulled down?  I know it has only been 10 days since the procedure.
The healing your described following lid surgery is absoultely typical in this early healing stage.  Be patient and continue to follow-up with your surgeon.  I have seen all of the issues you noted in many of my patients following this surgery and they typically all resolve with time.  It may take up to four months of healing before full maturation of the scars occur.
Thank you for your quick response.  I have been so upset about this and tried to just be patient.  It is hard though when everyone else notices and looks at you a little funny!  The retraction of the lower lids were the biggest concern.  If this takes time, I can wait.  I just needed to hear that this is sometimes a normal part of the healing process.  
I also had my upper and lower lids done but it's been over a yr now and i still have lumps on my lower lids under my lashes. It started as one and now i have 3. They look like cysts. I had a steroid injection to see if they would dissolve but they did not. Have u found anymore info on this?