Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
FOUND A PAINFUL LUMP AFTER BREAST REDUCTION

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

HI, I HAD A BREAST REDUCTION IN DECEMBER 2006.  BEFORE THEY WOULD DO SURGERY I HAD TO HAVE A MAMOGRAM (mammogram).  IT CAME BACK FINE ONLY WITH A FEW SPOTS THAT THEY SAID WERE CALCIFICATIONS.  SURGERY WENT WELL AND I HAVE RECOVERED.  I CALLED MY SURGEON WITH A CONCERN ON SATURDAY AND SAW HIM ON MONDAY.  I STARTED HURTING ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY IT WAS WORSE.  TODAY THEY PAIN IS A LITTLE WORSE.  IT IS IN MY RIGHT BREAST AND FRIDAY I FELT A LUMP THERE THAT WAS FEELING KIND OF LARGE AND PAINFUL.  HE FELT OF IT AND SAID THAT IT WAS UNUSUAL.  THAT IF IT STILL HURT IN 3 WEEKS WHEN I CAME BACK FOR MY APPT. THEN HE WOULD SCHEDULE ME FOR SOME TESTS.  HE SAID THAT HE DIDN'T THINK IT WAS ANY SORT OF INFECTION BUT HE PRESCRIBED ME ANTIBIOTICS AND HE SAID THAT WHERE IT WAS LOCATED IT THAT IT WAS NOT SCAR TISSUE OR ANYTHING.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK AND I AM A LITTLE WORRIED.  HAS ANYONE GOT ANYTHING ON THIS OR HAD IT HAPPEN.  IT IS A RATHER LARGE LUMP AND VERY PAINFUL.

THANKS
This soon after breast redcution surgery, lumps that you feel could be a result of several inconsequential factors.  These include inflamatory reaction to deep dissolvable sutures, scar tissue along internal planes of healing, small accumulation of blood clots that are replaced with scar tissue, and finally, a small area of infection or abscess.  It sounds like you physician is on top of this situation.
A related discussion, painful scar tissue was started.
A related discussion, Same situation more or less was started.