Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Facial nerve pain after face lift surgery

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

In Nov. 08 I had a mid face lift surgery and have had facial pain and continued numbness on the left side of my face and upper lip. I have even experienced a lot of tooth pain & my dentist can't find a problem with the teeth. I'm afraid I have permanent nerve damage and most days, there is an extreme amount of pain. I have taken so much ibuprofen and tylenol, I have developed gastritis. Is there any help for nerve damage related to a mid face lift. My cosmetic surgeon has been NO HELP at all & just says I'm a rare case and give it up to 2 years to correct.  Is there anything else I can do to get help?
Persistent pain following a facelift is unusual and plastic surgeons are not really equipped to deal with this problem.  It probably represents a form of a condition known as reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD).  The reason for its development is not clear.  It is best handled by a pain clinic found at local hospitals or university settings where a group of professionals (such as neurologists, surgeons, and other specialists) coordinate your care for this difficult problem.  I suggest getting a referral from your primary care physician or your plastic surgeon.
I heard it' really expensive in the US and UK. That is why most people are combining their request for a face lift with a vacation to either Sofia, Bulgaria or India to have their treatments done. Where there are hundreds of travel reasons in India but health tourism is 101st especially in face lift surgery and facial surgery, Costs are nearly half and doctors are highly qualified international medical professionals.  

can you please check this site and let me know is it safe to get operate by them http://www.faceinstituteindia.com/doctors.html  
You get what you pay for!  I am currently dealing with several patients who have had disasters when treated in medical tourism sites around the world.  Patients find it impossible to go back to the country of treatment both because of travel difficulties and fear.  Then then end up having corrective surgery here and end up paying twice as much to correct problems that should never have occurred in the first place.  Buyer beware!