Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Fluid build up 3months after tummy tuck

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Fluid build up 3months after tummy tuck
Hi Doctor,
  I had my tummy tuck 3 months ago and was very happy with the results UNTIL this fluid build up! My drains were in for 3 weeks post op and still I have fluid retention. At this point I am going back to my dr. every week to have it evacuated with a needle. While this isn't painful I am becoming concerned that the fluid will never go away or that I will develop some other health issue because of the excess fluid. Do the compression garments really work? I was wearing it faithfully until after my last needle evacuation - 1 and 1/2 days after the fluid was right back! Shoudl I be concerned or will this fluid eventually go away?

P  
At three months post abdominoplasty, it is highly unusual to be accumulating fluid.  You may require a new drain and certainly a culture to rule out infection.
A related discussion, Seroma,lump hematoma? after adbdominoplasty was started.