Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Had hernia repair after tummy tuck and doesn't look right.

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I had tummy tuck surgery about and 1 1/2 ago.  It was done by a great surgeon and it went perfect.  At the time I had my tummy tuck I also had a very small hernia repaired.  As time as progressed I began to see and feel like the hernia repair had not taken.  I went to my regualr doctor about a month ago and just had a second repair(incision) last Monday.  After taking off my dressing and in the week and four days since I've become very concerned about the way it looks.  I had a follow up appointment one week after and the doctor said he'd had a hard time finding the hernia because of scar tissue but it would be fine and that it was still swollen.  He also said if it hadn't gone down greatly in a month to come back.  I've had several surgerys and never seen swelling like this.  It looks as if I have a large horizontal tumor that protrudes.  Sort of elephant man-ish.  The thing that is most concerning is that is seems very hard to the touch.  I'm very concerned that something is not right and am wondering if this is normal and/or if my tummy tuck could have any connection.  The hernia was on the right groin area....not really that close to the hernia.
Without the details of both operative reports from both procedures as well as a direct examination of your condition, it is virtually impossible to comment on your problem.  Your last surgeon clearly has an understanding of what your condition is, and I would rely on his opinion regarding your post-op progress.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Hernia after Tummy Tuck was started.