Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Had surgery, but no improvements

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Had surgery, but no improvements

First of all thank you for your time.

Four weeks ago I had fat transfer within my buttocks, breast lift w/ implants (300cc), and of course liposuction of stomach, flanks, inner thigh, and upper back.  My issues are, after the swelling went down, my butt looks the same as before I had surgery and my inner thigh and upper back looks and feels the same...I still have a lot of back fat.  I don't know how to approach my doctor; I understand that some parts of my body are still swollen, but my butt has not improved in appearance and my breast still appear to sag already.  I am some what satisfied with my stomach, even though the compression garment was placed too high on my stomach after the procedure causing dents across the front.  I went in the next day after the operation and the doctor noticed this and said it should go away, but it hasn't?  What should I do?

Thank you.
At four weeks, it is probably too soon to fully evaluate the results of your surgery.  Not so at four months.  Your best approach would be to discuss your concerns in a non-threatening way with your surgeon at this time (you catch more flies with honey ....).  I hope that prior to the surgery, you had discussed your surgeon's financial policy regarding revision, should that become necessary.  Be prepared to wait six to twelve months from the date of your original surgery, should revision be appropriate  (returning to surgery too soon after the original procedure will compromise the results.)

While both the surgeon and the patient desire completely successful results after surgery, it is not uncommon for every surgeon to occasionally experience results that are not completely successful.  Work with your surgeon with appropriate follow-up visits.