Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Hematoma in my buttock

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Hematoma in my buttock
HI, I FELL OFF ONE OF MY HORSES ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO PRETTY HARD, AND LANDED ON MY RIGHT BUTTOCK. WHICH CAUSED BRUISING AND A HEMATOMA, THE BRUISING WENT AWAY; BUT THE HEMATOMA REMAINS THREE YEARS LATER. AND RECENTLY (A MONTH AGO) I LANDED ON THE SAME SPOT, THIS TIME NO BRUISING BUT MY HEMATOMA HAS GOTTEN HARDER AND IS NOW PAINFUL TO TOUCH? SHOULD I SEE A DR.? AND WILL THE LUMP EVER GO AWAY? SO LONG I DONT KEEP FALLING ON IT.
The original hematoma formed when there was bleding into the soft tissues.  The blood coagulated, then liqufied, and was ultimately replaced with scar tissue, which represents the lump you feel.  The same course of action will follow your most recent injury.  It is worth having this area evaluated to determine if any treatment is appropriate.