Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
How Long do Hematomas take to heal

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

How Long do Hematomas take to heal

Hi I got hit by a baseball about 4 weeks ago in the face (on the left cheekbone). The bruising has subsided but there is still a bump on the tip of my cheekbone about a 1/4 inch in length width and thickness. i went to the doctor yesterday and she said that it might take several months to subside but they usually do go away by themselves, especially hematomas this small. however, i am a little concerned, and she isnt a dermatologist. my question is do hematomas this size usually go away by themselves? if not, what should i do to get it removed?
Assuming the bump you notice is a hematoma, it should resorb over the next month or two.  If it is fluctuant by examination, it could be needle aspirated, other wise, it should disappear over time.
Thank you for your reply to my question. I have another question relating to the injury. During the second week of the injury, I became aware of the hematoma and started rubbing it vigorously to try to break down the tissue. Now, the hematoma has more or less subsided but there is discoloration under my eye and on the side of my cheek from rubbing. Will these eventually go away, or are these permanent?

Thanks!