Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
How much movement should my implants have?

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I had breast implants done in 2003.  Smooth, round, saline filled, 350cc - 400cc and submuscular.  When I lean forward, my implants turn completely sideways.  It is very obvious to the look and touch.  I am also able to flip the implants over forwards with my fingers (front to back).

Is it normal to have that much movement with the implant if they are under the muscle?  I am confused and wondering if they somehow came out from under the muscle or if the muscle has become so stretched that they are able to move freely.  (Or maybe they were never placed under the muscle?)

I hope you can resolve my confusion.

Thank you!
In order for implants to feel soft and natural, it is ideal for the implant pocket to be substantially larger than the implant, with movement of the implant within the pocket.  Capsule contracture occurs when the implant is squeezed by a shrinking pocket, making implants feel firm and sometimes even rock hard.  In your case the pocket is obviously larger than the implant, but the nature of the saline implants, which can readily fold and ripple, makes this folding both palpable and visible.  This is more prominent in some patient than in others, particularly where there is thin covering of breast tissue over the implants.  The real solution to this problem is the use of gel implants, which feel more natural and are much less likely to fold and ripple.  I have seen a large number of patients with similar problems who have elected to exchange the saline implants for gels with very positive results.