Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Lip scar tissue

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Lip scar tissue

I'm having some problems. When I was about 3 years old, I cut my lip open on a glass table. I was taken to the hospital and had stitches put in and everything healed just fine. I'm 18 almost 19 now and suddenly out of no where about two months ago, a small white lump appeared at the bottom of the small scar I have on my lip from the incident from when I was three. My mom is a nurse and from what I had told her she had told me it was likely scar tissue and with time and a little massaging it would go away. So I followed her advice and have been massaging it on and off for last two weeks. However, I woke up to a nasty surprise this morning. The lump seemed to have at least doubled in size. It is now swollen, sore and utterly unsightly. Should I try to meet with a plastic surgeon? I can't walk around with this nasty thing on my lip forever.
Yes, see a plastic surgeon.  You probably have a mucous cyst that has enlarged, but a definite diagnosis can only be made after an examination by a physician.