Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Lump after Breast reduction Surgery

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Lump after Breast reduction Surgery

I had a breast reduction on decmber 2007, Sometime in March I felt a lump in my left Breast and my plastic Surgeon said it was scar tissue. I went for my yearly check up to my gyn and he sent me to do a mammogram and an ultrasound and i'm very concerned that my lump is cancer or something, I'm very afraid now. What do you think?
Tags: reduction
It is routine to obtain a pathology report of the tissues that were removed at the time of your reduction.  You should have been given information about the results of the pathology or can readily obtain the results.  Assuming this report was negative, it is highly unlikely that the lump you feel is related to cancer.  It is most probably either scar tissue or fat necrosis as a result of the surgery.  The mammogram and ultrasound will confirm this.  I would relax about the risk of cancer.  Your doctors are doing the appropriate follow-up for the lump you found.