Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Male P -Syndrome Reconstructive Surgery Costs

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Hello I appreciate very much the opportunity to come on to this site and ask questions freely.  I have what is known in medical terminology as Poland Syndrome.   And I have often wondered what the missing pectoral muscle on my left side was named and if there was surgery to reconstruct it.  Recently, I’ve discovered several websites that discuss this syndrome in precise detail; they also name it, and then talk about various reconstructive procedures that could be preformed to correct it.  The information off the websites has been invaluable to me in understanding this syndrome.  I also found out about different procedures, like: DIEP flap, SIEA flap, IGAP flap, Hip flap, Bilateral Simultaneous Immediate GAP flap, TRAMM flap, Pectoral Implants, and Alloderm Implant Reconstruction.   However, I need more than a step-by-step guide on procedures to make a good decision on having surgery done or not.  I need the cost-side as well.
     As practice, I believe the clinical etiquette for revealing surgical costs, has been a bit on the exclusivity.  I understand the many reasons for this are varied:  clinical practices, insurance options, surgical procedures, professional fees, state law requirements, and so forth.  And so it is not a matter of wanting to stack the deck in the clinics favor, that the sites don’t put out the cost and fees side of the procedures, but of preserving all those interest listed above.  Heck though, I don’t even know if the cost would be in the ball park of about $2,500-$5,000, $5000-$12,000, or $12,000 and above?   Who knows, no one will give out any information on there sites at all.  My question than is this; where could I find this type of information?  And could anyone let me know of the general cost of cosmetic surgery for Poland Syndrome (more specifically using a latisimuss dorsi flap), about what type of range are we talking about (both with insurance and with out)?  Thank you very much for answering my questions!

The charges for a latissimus flap will vary from one region of the country to another and the value that each individual surgeon places on the complexity of the procedure.  In addition, there are costs associated with facility, any required lab work, and anesthesia charges.  A surgeon may also feel the procedure is best performed with a first assistant who would also expect reimbursement for time.

The best (and probably) the only way of establishing a cost for the procedure would be to see an established surgeon in consultation, who could then quote an exact surgical fee, along with determining the operative time required and therefore establish facility, anesthesia, and other fees so that an exact total would be quoted.  

Since you would likely be paying cash for this procedure, you should demand a full disclosure of all fees required for this procedure in your area.  Often facilities and ancillary professionals offer discounted fees for cash paying elective surgery.  You will not find this info on an internet search and any internet site that purports to provide it to you will not be accurate.  In my area, you could easily spend over $20,000, but an exact fee could not be worked out without a full discussion of your options after an examination to determine the best technique to use.