Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
My dissolveable stitches are not falling off

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Hello there,

I got my 2nd boob job done last month. This Saturday it will be a month. All is well, & I love how they came out and all. BUT three stitches have yet to fall off. Only one fell out. They are the dissolveable stitches that fall off on their own. So my plastic surgeon told me that I didn't have to get them removed bc they would fall out. My surgeon is in Brazil & I live in the U.S. I had to go to Brazil because it was an emergency. One implant had deflated, & I had to get them done asap(I'm a topless dancer). Didn't want to go back to my previous PS in NY, bc I was never happy with his work.

Also, a piece of areola had to be cut off because my previous implant was attached to my skin. It's not as bad as it sounds. My areola is going to heal smoothly, so i'm not worried about that. The problem is, that missing piece of skin is also healing slowly. It's closed a lot now & stopped bleeding, it's at the stage where it's now leaking yellow fluid(after bleeding fluid, NOT puss). It has raised a lot & closed fast bc I've been taking Vitamin C, vit K, copper, & zinc twice a day. The doctor also gave me collagen gel that i've been putting on twice a day.

What else can I do to make these stitches fall off fast on their own? I am desperate here. I have to go to work soon, but can't with these stitches.  

Sorry for the long post.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Zarah
Residual external dissolvable sutures that remain in place after one month will need to be removed.  The fluid accumulation and drainage may also be a result of the sutures and the attempt by you body to dissolve them.  You will not likely be able to deal with this on your own and should be seen by a physician with knowledge in this area.
Girlfriend you need to find a local PS that is highly accredited and referred by other drs and researched before letting someone cut you open. Everyone heals differently but I had my 3rd breast augmentation to remove and replace my 20 year old implants on August 31st and I was nearly healed in a week! I can hardly feel like I even had surgery already! However a year ago I had a demi lift and wasn't as particular about my surgeon. I liked him and he was qualified but found out too late that he wasn't as experienced as I had thought, and ended up getting every complication in the book and I am still healing from the problems caused by the less experienced dr. Now of course a lot also depends on the patient and their own way that their bodies heal and how well they follow the pre and post op instructions.I had a reation to stitches and got a seroma (hence my med help name) along with horrible scar tissue from the seroma and it was a long over a year long process and it was MY FACE! It sucked but I'm ok now and ended up w a good result but I had to work w my PS for over a year to overcome my complications and get a good final outcome. I do know  U shouldn't still be bleeding, or oozing a month later. Find a PS in your area to see what's going on and hopefully remove the stitches that sound like they may be delaying your healing. Sometimes tissue reacts strangly to foreign bodies of any kind so it might help to get them out. It sounds like you also may have developed a seroma the oozing yellow fluid, it may need to be drained. You also should ask about possibly taking antibiotics since you have had an open oozing wound for a month. Get to a Dr. It will be harder for you to find a PS willing to take over dealing w complications caused by surgery performed by someone else. Good reason to pick a local PS. No Doctor can help you heal faster, but can assist you with directing a treatment to hopefully allow your own body to heal. Keep it clean, dry and dressed in the meantime. Take it real easy as you have to help your body heal. I'm sure you will still have a good outcome if you take care and get to a DOCTOR! Best of luck to you!
Seroma
Hey there,  

Thanks for the reply & advice.  Appreciate it much. :-)

The piece that is leaking a bit is not a stitch, it's the deep cut he had to do.  I'm noticing today that it's almost closed, so i'm not worried about that.  It's the end of the sutures that are tied into knots(they're the ends of the stitches) that is on top of the surface of my skin that have not falling out.  I'm going to search for a local PS.  I'm just afraid that a PS wont want to deal with another's PS patient, you know.  It's not going to be easy to find one, to do a simple snip.  I hope not.
Let us know if u were able to find someone to remove the little stitch! I also flew to Canada once for some PS wrk and I didn't like the result and had to go back to the PS in Canada to take out this material called Gortex he put in my nose. It was quite an extra expense and time, then I also had to find a local surgeon where I live to remove these staples he put in my scalp from a bilateral lift. I was able to but it was a PAIN in the butt. Hey we live and learn. I am sooo grateful everything ended up looking great surprisingly after everything I went through! I'm more concerned with u haveing an opening in your skin bcuz of bacteria then the little stitch. I'm sure you will be able to find a Dr to remove them.
Seroma
Thank you Seroma :-)

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I've been keeping everything clean, scar gel over it & gauze pad.  I found a surgeon who is going to snip them off for me.  It's gonna cost me $150.  I was just afraid that I wouldn't find a PS who would do it.  I get them snipped off this Tuesday.

Sorry you had to go through all of that. My situation sounds like a walk in the park compare to yours.