Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Nose job scare!

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Nose job scare!

Hi,  I am in my 12th day post-op from having a rhinoplasty and my main concern is that my nose is no longer at the midline of my face.  My whole nose slants towards the right and the tip of my nose is about 3 mm to the right of my filtrum.  Looking at my nostrils from the underside the deviation to the right is obvious.  I brought up this concern to my plastic surgeon yesterday when I got the splint removed and he just said "it is what it is."  And that it is still swollen so we will have to wait and see.  But, he basically said that I should just be happy that I have a bridge now.  However, I my initial complaint was that I thought my nose was too wide and I loved how my face was at least symmetrical.  Now, I have a narrower now but my nose is deviated to the right!  I would have just left it alone if I even knew this could happen.  He seems to not take my concern seriously, and even said that maybe I had a crooked nose to begin with and that the porous material he put on my now is prefabricted straight so it should be straight.  Should I be concerned?  Will I end up having to have revision rhinoplasty?  I'm so angry that he is taking this lightly!  I feel like I should have been happy with what I was born with.  At least is was perfectly symmetrical to my the midline of my eyes, filtrum, and to the midline of my teeth.  Now I have an imbalanced face.  Should I see another surgeon?  
A very common problem that I face as a plastic surgeon, is patients  evaluating the results of their surgery too early following the procedure, while swelling and healing are still occurring.  You obviously had a complex procedure with a porous implant placed over the nasal dorsum.  While your assessment of deviation of the implant may be valid, time and healing (usually three or four months) will eventually prove the success and your ultimate satisfaction of your procedure.  If you feel your post-op interaction with your surgeon is unsatisfactory, the best advise I would have is to discuss this in a direct, but unthreatening way with your surgeon and achieve a mutually better rapport. If this remains uncomfortable, then a second opinion would be warranted.