Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Pectus excavatum

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Pectus excavatum

My son has just come back from Iraq after serving for 15 months as a medic. He was only told 8 years ago that he had pectus excavatum. I thought he just hadn't developed muscles. The doctor never mentioned it to me.
It has really been bothering him since he has been serving in the Army. He wants to get it corrected. I am very leary of the surgery but I know its bothering his lungs. Please help me to find a specialist in this field and preferably in Colorado first and then California. I am desperate.
Thanks so much for helping me out.
Marisue Archer
I do not make specific plastic surgical recomendations.  Treatment options vary with the degree of deformity and functional problems.  The most common tretment is a silicone custom fabricated implant that is placed beneath the skin to recontour the defect.  Other options include the use of pectoral muscle migrtion over the defect.  A new injectable material hs been used in Europe (not available in the US) that corrects the deformity.  The most radical approach is the reversal of the sterum to correct the defect.  I suggest you contact a local university plastic surgery training program that can direct you to the best and most experienced surgeon for your son's problem.