Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Plastic surgery

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Plastic surgery
trh
Can you tell me what is the differece between a tummy tuck and a C-section and recovery time for both.

I am in the Army (19)and must take a phycial test. (53 sit-up within 2 minutes).  How long should I start excersing after the tummy tuck.  How do can I tell when to stop (pain or pressure) without hurting my stomach muscles.

I feel as if I have never done any ab work out.  Is this normal. Never had problems before the tuck.

thank you
In performing a tummy tuck, the abdominal (rectus muscles) are actually not touched.  It is the overlying tendinous layer (the muscle fascia) which is tightened.  This is usually healed after several weeks post surgery and so most patients can resume full physical activity (including sit-ups) at three to four weeks after this surgery.  I can't speak for C-sections since I am a plastic surgeon and not an obstetrician and do not follow or advise patients immediate following delivery.