Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Poland's Syndrome

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Poland's Syndrome

My infant child was recently diagnosed with Poland's Syndrome.  The effected areas are the chest muscle and the hand.  The right hand is smaller than his left and the pointer and middle fingers are significantly smaller than the others.  These fingers also still have some webbing in between them.  We were told the webbing can be removed.  I have two questions.  
1. One question is what options are there for the hand?  Are there any procedures/therapy/etc that would enable the hand to be matched (or close to) the size of the left hand?  
2. Are there tests we should have done to check for additional issues such as missing muscle in the arm, chest issues such as asthma, etc?  If so, what are they and what typr of doctor should we be looking for?

Any assistance and advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I would recommend you schedule a consultation with a hand surgeon.  Specialists in hand surgery received their training either via orthopedics or plastic surgery first.  A plastic surgeon would be able to evaluate your daughter for associated problems related to the Poland's syndrome and give you an overview of future reconstructive options.