Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Possible broken cheekbone

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Possible broken cheekbone

I was recently received a punch to the corner of my eye or cheekbone. A small marble like swell appeared immediately with substantial swelling coming up over night. Over the past 10 days the cheek has improved substantially however I still have the small lump (though it has softened somewhat) and a very red eye ball on the side the contact occured.

I have had no vision impairments or associate symptoms. I have no ongoing pain in the area.

A friend of mine is a chiropractor and conducted a quick X-Ray 3 days after then incident that appeared to show no breaks.  I have also since seen a doctor who advised me that the symptoms should mend completely over the next 2 weeks.

I am now slightly concerned as a work colleague has advised me that he had a similar break that an initial X-ray failed to show up.  He also advised me that these types of breaks need to be attended within a week or so (it has now been 10 days).

Is it worth getting a specialist opinion now or is it too late anyway?

Specialized views of the face are required to determine if there is a fracture of the maxilla (so-called trimalar fracture) or a zygomatic arch fracture.  I doubt that the chiropractors X-rays are sufficient or properly interpreted.  If there is a fracture, it is not too late for care.  I recommend a consultation with a plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist.