Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Problem healing after thigh lift

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Problem healing after thigh lift

I had thigh lift surgery recently. My stitches were taken out after ten days. Five days later, I noticed areas of the groin incisions on both legs were opening. A few days later, one incision opened completely and I could see several inches into my buttocks. My surgeon said it had to do with the internal stitches, maybe a reaction or allergy to the material. He put in several stitches and said the other areas should heal more before he stitches them. Seven days later, several of the stitches have "loosened" and he has to tighten them. Now they are loose again and I felt one pop on the other leg. I am over a month post-op. I am malabsorbtive due to duodenal switch surgery. Is my nutrition issue causing this? I know I rarely eat the daily 60 gr of protein that I am supposed to. I didn't have this problem with the DS or tummy tuck. Although I did have a problem with a stitch that didn't dissolve on my breast reduction.
I have found that thigh lift surgery and wound healing in this area is notorious for wound healing problems.  This is due to a combination of blood supply to the local tissues in that area, maceration of skin in this moist environment, as well as tension along the suture line.  If you add to that a nutritional problem due to malabsorption, it is not surprising that healing has been a problem for you.  Ultimately, full healing will occur.