Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Reaction to suture

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Reaction to suture
I had a procedure done that required me to have absorable sutures placed in the back of my head. One end of the suture line has developed a raised area on the skin that resembles a knot. Is this a normal reaction.
Absorbable sutures placed near the surface of the skin can spit out.  These sutures absorb as a result of an inflammatory reaction that sometimes produces a "stitch abscess" that forces the suture to come out through the skin.  This may explain what is occurring to you.  See your surgeon to evaluate your situation.